For Immediate Release: November 7, 2019
Media Contact: Jessy Sielski, 517-284-5725
Program Contact: Peter Anastor, 517-284-5777
LANSING—Yesterday, the Michigan Commission of Agriculture and Rural Development approved a Food and Agriculture Investment Fund performance-based grant of $150,000 for Snackwerks of Michigan LLC, located in Battle Creek. The grant will help offset some of the $3.9 million in private investment for equipment and building renovations necessary to produce baked goods for a leading, international cookie company. Funding for this grant will come from Fiscal Year 2019 carry-forward dollars and is subject to approval by the Michigan Legislature.
Formed in 2016, Snackwerks of Michigan produces bakery products for branded food companies. The company is known for providing best-in-class supply chain production for a wide variety of customers, ranging from large Fortune 500 companies to new companies launching their first products.
"This is a tremendous opportunity not only for Snackwerks and Battle Creek, but also for farmers and suppliers all over Michigan," said Gary McDowell, director of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. "We couldn't be more excited to support a great project like this. The resources, innovation and talent we have in our great state continue to attract food and ag companies from around the country and around the world—and we have room for many more."
More on Michimich.com
- Michigan: Department of State to mail 250,000 applications to serve on Redistricting Commission
- Governor Whitmer Applauds USDA Disaster Designation for Michigan Counties
- As utility scam complaints rise in Michigan, MPSC urges customers to be on alert
- AG Nessel: Sec. DeVos's Automatic Debt Forgiveness for Arts Institute of Michigan Students is the Right Call
- Michigan: DNR seeks tips about bull elk poached in Pigeon River Country
The product that Snackwerks of Michigan will produce for its client is a type of cookie that requires a complicated multi-step process to manufacture. Currently, the cookie company imports millions of cookies into the U.S. every year. With the support of MDARD and other partners like Battle Creek Unlimited and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, Snackwerks will be able to manufacture the cookies locally under an arrangement that allows Snackwerks to own the equipment and use it for other customers. The project is expected to create 38 new jobs in Battle Creek.
"It is great to see a solid company like Snackwerks growing in our community," said Shabaka Gibson, Vice President at Battle Creek Unlimited. "We look forward to continuing to create a supportive home for food and ag companies."
"The decision by Snackwerks to expand in Michigan means more jobs for our residents and will further support our state's critical food processing industry," said Michigan Economic Development Corporation CEO Jeff Mason. "We're pleased this Michigan company has chosen to expand in Battle Creek and will continue to elevate the profile and profitability of Michigan's agriculture businesses."
"We are excited about the potential for this new business opportunity to drive food business growth and innovation here in Michigan, and grateful for the support from organizations such as MDARD, MEDC and Battle Creek Unlimited," said Jeff Grogg, President of Snackwerks of Michigan.
More on Michimich.com
- NYC Church Takes A Radical Approach To Grief During Thanksgiving Weekend
- 2020 Michigan Economic Forecast Forum To Be Held January 9 In East Lansing
- GIA Wellness Introduces Two Revolutionary Skin Nourishment Products
- Henry Ford Village's Management Company Ranked #1 In J.D. Power Study
- 7pace Releases Timetracker 5 with new Dashboards for Azure DevOps
With the new equipment and capacity, Snackwerks stands to gain significant additional business from other customers, translating to even better business opportunities and more jobs. Michigan agriculture and food ingredient suppliers also will benefit from this new opportunity, as Snackwerks prefers to source ingredients from Michigan suppliers when they meet customer specifications. Snackwerks is currently sourcing from many Michigan companies, and the new production capability will help grow Michigan-based food consumer products companies.
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/MIDeptofAgriculture
Follow us on Twitter: @MichDeptofAg
Join us on LinkedIn: LinkedIn.com/company/michigan-department-of-agriculture-&-rural-development
Follow us on Instagram: @michiganagriculture
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel: youtube.com/MIAgriculture
Latest on Michimich.com
- Governor Whitmer Announces Trip to Strengthen Michigan Business Ties with Israel
- Newest Digital Media Solutions Office Named Top Workplace In San Diego
- AF Group Employees Raise $294,000 for Charities
- Michigan: MDE to Request Federal Waivers for Summer Food Service Program
- Serpmart Digital Marketing, Wholesale Web Design and Digital Marketing Services For Businesses That Want Growth
- Hurdle Realty Celebrates Half a Century of Bringing Home the American Dream
- Singapore FinTech Festival 2019 Reinvents IT industry
- GM Books' Collaborative-Publishing Model as A Win-Win For Authors and The Publisher
- PearlFection Dentistry invests in state of the art Cone Beam CT scanner (3D imaging), Panoramic X-ray System, and Cephalometric X-ray system
- Bob Holz to Release New Album with Rolling Stones Bassist Darryl Jones
- Competitive Financial Solutions for Business Development
- Globemaker Introduces New Handcrafted, Geographical Globes For Homes, Schools, Offices
- Michigan: EGLE to ease permitting process for sandbags as temporary measure against shoreline erosion
- Michigan: Snowbirds reminded to renew early
- Third Coast Bakery Wins National Award From PETA
- Tarps Now® Expands Mesh Tarps Providing Wide Range of Exposure Levels and Applications
- Michigan's firearm deer season drives tradition, economic gains
- Michigan Education Trust to Reopen Enrollment Dec. 1, Allowing Purchasers to Meet Tax Deduction Deadline
- Michigan: MDHHS issues RFP for fetal alcohol spectrum disorder programming
- Michigan: AG Nessel Kicks Off Robocall Crackdown Effort with State and Federal Partners