- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer Announces Credit Rating Outlook Boost as State Displays Strong Financial Position, Economic Recovery
- Michigan: AG Nessel's Payroll Fraud Enforcement Unit Shares Amazon Flex Settlement
- Armstrong International Charts Roadmap to Decarbonization, Joins Renewable Thermal Collaborative
Motorcyclists are Hard to See. Look Twice. Save a Life.
In recognition of May as national Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson is encouraging drivers to exercise extra caution when driving as motorcyclists take to the road during warm weather months.
"As motorcycle traffic increases across the state, all drivers should take extra care to prevent crashes every time they get behind the wheel," Benson said. "The simple act of taking a second look before making a turn or double-checking your blind spots can prevent crashes and save lives."
A rider and motorcycle present a smaller profile compared to the size of most cars and trucks, meaning many drivers overlook them or do not immediately recognize them as part of traffic flow. Though it is commonly thought that motorcyclist crashes occur most often on highways, 84 percent of motorcycle-vehicle crashes actually happen on city streets. Michigan motorists are urged to remain aware of motorcyclists at all times, and especially in high-risk situations, including when changing lanes or making a left turn.
More on Michimich.com
- Michigan: Gaylord man arraigned on three charges after fleeing DNR conservation officer in Otsego County
- Michigan: Former Catholic School Teacher Pleads Guilty, MI AG Clergy Abuse Team Secures Fourth Conviction
- Michigan: Attorney General Nessel Leads Coalition in Fight to Preserve Billions of Dollars for Schools
- Michigan: Public Integrity Investigation Involving Macomb County Prosecutor Leads to Additional Guilty Plea
- Michigan: MSHDA Board approves Qualified Allocation Plan and loan commitments for affordable housing developments
The Secretary of State's "Look Twice - Save a Life" program aims to promote motorcycle awareness, safety and education for motorists. Drivers are encouraged to visit Michigan.gov/LookTwice for more information and safety tips.
# # #
For media questions, contact
Tracy Wimmer at 517-281-1876.
We welcome questions and comments at the Contact the Secretary of State page.
Customers may call the Department of State Information Center to
speak to a customer-service representative at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Latest on Michimich.com
- Scallop Software is now a GSA MULTIPLE SCHEDULE approved vendor. Congratulations from Brian Peterson and the Government Marketplace LLC team
- Overlooked Hurricane Katrina Mississippi Black Women Survivors Resilience and Recovery
- Two Late Model JD Norman Automotive Component Facilities to Be Auctioned by Order of the Secured Party
- Michigan: MDHHS seeking proposals for services to domestic violence victims
- Michigan: Streams and lakes statewide will benefit from 17 Fisheries Habitat Grant projects
- Michigan: Attorney General Nessel Celebrates Supreme Court Decision Upholding the Affordable Care Act
- Hot, dry weather pushes fire danger into 'extreme' territory for parts of Michigan
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer Announces State will Open to Full Capacity on June 22
- Paul Sinacore Casting Shines Spotlight On "Friends: The Reunion" as Diversity Backlash Continues
- ACN Inc. Reaches Agreement for the Purchase of Assets of Kynect Ltd
- Is A Licensed Property Manager Required In Nevada?
- Visionz Group and HMSA Form Partnership to Help Ex-Offenders in Michigan Prepare for the Workforce
- Michigan: Council on Climate Solutions to meet June 22
- Governor Whitmer, Michigan Officials Celebrate U.S. Supreme Court Decision That Upholds the Affordable Care Act
- 7-Year Old Singer/Songwriter Kyra Pesebre Releases "I Love You, Dad" In Time For Father's Day
- The Coretec Group Enters Into Research Partnership With Eindhoven University of Technology
- The KIS Foundation, Inc. Celebrates World Sickle Cell Day "Day of Physical Fitness and Education"
- Michigan: Marijuana Regulatory Agency Announces June Business Resource Workshop, Featuring Our Cannabis
- AG Nessel Congratulates Department Staff Recognized by Women Lawyers Association of Michigan, Mid-Michigan Region
- Industry Leaders Spotlight the New Payer Regulatory and Compliance Environment at Beacon Leadership Summit