Dec. 9, 2019
Jill A. Greenberg, EGLE Public Information Officer, GreenbergJ@Michigan.gov, 517-897-4965
EGLE Media Office, EGLE-Assist@Michigan.gov, 517-284-9278
The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy's statewide education campaign Know It Before You Throw It has been named Recycling Campaign of the Year by Waste Dive, a leading industry news publisher based in Washington, D.C.
"The people and organizations that win the Dive Awards are trailblazers and leaders in their markets," said Davide Savenije, editor-in-chief of Waste Dive's publisher Industry Dive. "Their achievements in 2019 are shaping the future of where the latest strategies and trends are going."
The state's first-ever clean recycling initiative, Know It Before You Throw It launched in June 2019. The campaign features the Recycling Raccoon Squad, a six-member team of recycling ambassadors who educate about how clean recycling will reduce the amount of contaminated materials improperly going into recycling bins. The state also wants to double Michigan's recycling rate to 30% by 2025 and ultimately reach 45% annually. Michigan's current 15% recycling rate is the lowest in the Great Lakes region and ranks among the nation's lowest.
More on Michimich.com
- Octobotic Corp announces Brian Sucher CFO Service,RRBB CPA ,Ross Carmel ESQ,Ahead of GCC
- Andrea LaFontaine Chosen As New Michigan Trails & Greenways Alliance Director
- Michigan: Attorney General Nessel Criticizes Proposal That Would Allow Predatory Lenders to Take Advantage of Consumers
- Michigan: Silver Lake Basin boating access site change proposed in Marquette County
- SAE J1939 to RS232 & USB Gateway With 9-Pin Deutsch Connection Cable
Through this campaign, EGLE has awarded 26 grants totaling more than $5.96 million in 2019. The funding aims to improve recycling infrastructure and support development of emerging and new marketplace opportunities for recyclable materials in 16 counties covering every region of the state.
Michigan residents quickly adopted the recycling initiative along with Recycling Raccoons messages encouraging best practices, said Jack Schinderle, director of the Materials Management Division at EGLE.
"I have not seen this kind of positive reaction to anything that I've worked on in 29 years of doing this work," Schinderle said.
The 2019 Dive Awards recognize the industry's top disruptors and innovators. These executives, companies, trends and breakthroughs are transforming the industry. Winners were chosen by the editors of Waste Dive based on thorough and independent research, reporting and analysis. For more about this award, read the full Waste Dive story.
More on Michimich.com
- Sterling Heights: Renovations
- AAFD Welcomes The Independent Association of BurgerIM Franchisees
- Taking Control versus Asking Permission - "Skills to Back Yourself"
- Andrew Jones first-ever Collections Curated by Designers of Distinction auction will be held Feb 23
- Citizen is Now Active in Detroit
Waste Dive provides in-depth journalism and insight into the most impactful news and trends shaping solid waste and recycling. The daily email newsletter and website cover topics such as collections and transfer, recycling, organics, zero waste, landfill operations, WTE, fleet management, policy, labor and more.
To stay up to date on EGLE news, go to Michigan.gov/MIEnvironment and follow us on Twitter at @MichiganEGLE.
Latest on Michimich.com
- Michigan: MRA Releases Bulletin Detailing Requirements for Temporary Marijuana Events
- Michigan: Former Jackson Investment Adviser Ordered to Pay Full Restitution to Elderly Victims' Family
- Daniel Imperato CEO of Octobotic Inc. Taps Vinod Sujan Fmr. Oracle Exec. & Aarzoo founder
- IAOP and HCL Announce Winners of the Red Ladder Women in Outsourcing Awards
- MiraMed Shares 2019 Circle of Warmth Success
- Axiros Solution Enables Electronic Frontier UK to Manage Multiple Client Devices and CPE in the Telco/ISP Market
- Air Duct Cleaning NJ - Why Should I Clean my Home Air Ducts?
- Signature Tracks and Downtown Music Publishing Announce Strategic Partnership for Scoring Film, Television, And Advertising
- Interactive Touchscreen Solutions, Inc. Takes Ward Over Security Integrations with Direct 'Access' Visitor Management Solutions
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grants that will improve Morgan Road in Calhoun County and Sauk River Drive in the city of Coldwater
- CONSUMER ALERT: MPSC publishes list of alternative providers as Talk America Services prepares to exit Michigan
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grants that will improve Marquette Avenue in Bay City and Cuttle Road in the City of Marysville
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grants that will improve South Townline Road in Otsego County and Eastlake Road in Manistee County
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve Lake Lansing Road in Ingham County
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve 68th Avenue in Ottawa County
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve County Road 531 in Delta County
- Michigan: Josh Neyhart joins MDARD as Senior Environmental Policy Advisor
- McCarthy to hire 300 workers for Assembly Solar Project in Michigan
- Michigan: Signal upgrade project in Traverse City starts Jan. 27
- Michigan: MDOT open house for US-131 BR road and bridge project in Constantine