- MSHDA Board approves grants to Habitat for Humanity of Michigan and CEDAM, supports loans for acquisition and rehabilitation of affordable rental units in rural communities - 102
- Meijer Customer Survey Reveals Kids May be in for Biggest Christmas Surprises
- Michigan: DNR recommends $5.4 million in Land and Water Conservation Fund grants to support park projects
October 21, 2020
Contact: Elyse Walter, 517-449-9731
Michigan Rehabilitation Champion Awards recognized 11 participants and partners for outstanding commitment to people with disabilities
LANSING, Mich.-Eleven individuals and organizations were recognized during today's annual Champion Awards ceremony for their outstanding commitment to Michigan's public vocational rehabilitation programs for people with disabilities.
Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS), within the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity's Office of Employment and Training, collaborated with the Michigan Council for Rehabilitation Services to recognize employers, partners and customers. MRS presented its 12th annual Champion Awards during a virtual event on Wednesday.
"Today's award recipients are shining examples of those who contribute to ensuring all Michiganders have exceptional opportunities to have a great job, earn a livable wage, and contribute to our state," said Stephanie Beckhorn, Director of LEO's Office of Employment and Training. "The successes shared today are just some of the thousands of stories that could be told about Michigan's vocational rehabilitation programs and their outcomes."
More on Michimich.com
- Adrian Peterson Teams up With The Athletes' Corner to Provide 100,000 Meals to Families in Association With His Custom Thanksgiving Day Cleats
- ProSource Diesel,Where Repair Shops Shop for Hard-to-Find Truck Parts and Kits, Celebrates Anniversary!
- Michigan: Virtual public meeting scheduled Dec. 7 to discuss 2021 I-75 BL lane reconfiguration in St. Ignace
- Michigan: Blossomland Bridge closing in St. Joseph starting Dec. 1
- Attorney General Nessel Reaches Settlement in Progress Michigan's FOIA Lawsuit Against Former AG's Administration
MRS offices around the state nominated champion candidates. The consistent theme from those nominated was demonstration of the value of hiring and retaining vocational rehabilitation customers.
The event was part of Investing in Abilities Month in October, as proclaimed by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to encourage employers to hire qualified people with disabilities while focusing on their abilities. This year's event also helped mark the 100-year anniversary of federally-funded vocational rehabilitation programs and the 30-year anniversary of the signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Awards were presented in the following categories.
Customers (including youth) who are motivated and committed to finding and keeping jobs:
- Robert Gurley of Detroit who was a diligent student while participating in the advanced Soft Skills and Job Club with Disability Network Wayne County-Detroit and has become a part-time employee of the Disability Network.
- Austin Gonda of North Branch who received Pre-Employment Transition Services and participated in a work-based learning program in Lapeer County. Austin is now employed full-time with a local construction business.
- Emily Sare of Kalamazoo who completed the Pharmacy Technician training program at the Michigan Career and Technical Institute and now works at Family Health Center.
- Joseph Samona of San Antonio, Texas who has not let his hearing loss deter him from pursuing his dream of becoming a dentist. Joseph graduated from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry in 2020 and is completing a one-year residency at the University of Texas in San Antonio.
Business partners from large businesses that are working in innovative ways with MRS and its customers:
More on Michimich.com
- Michigan: Former Youth Basketball Coach Jerrell Sanders Sent to Prison for Sex Crime
- New Mom Pens Book to Inspire Daughter's Future
- Micro Kickboard Announces Scooters Made From Recycled Fishing Nets
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client CBC Federal Credit Union for Customer Service Accolades
- Genuine Vacation Is Making This Black Friday Extra Special
- Dean Transportation, Lansing and statewide
- Joe Coeling, Michigan Dining: University of Michigan of Ann Arbor
Business partners from small businesses that are working in innovative ways with MRS and its customers:
- Juston Oswald, Ozzie's Quick Lube of St. Charles
- Lumbermen's of Grand Rapids
Community partners who have demonstrated a strong commitment to empowering individuals with disabilities to take charge of their futures:
- Misty Shulters, Michigan Works! Southeast Lenawee County of Adrian
- Rita Keilholtz, Superior Alliance for Independent Living of Marquette
Statewide Community Partner who has demonstrated a strong commitment to empower individuals with disabilities to take charge of their futures:
- Clydene Stangvik and Patrick Romzek, Cisco Networking Academy of Northville
MRS assists persons with disabilities to achieve competitive employment and self-sufficiency. For more information on Michigan Rehabilitation Services, visit Michigan.gov/MRS
Latest on Michimich.com
- Zippy Shell and Subsidiary 1-800-PACK-RAT Secure Financing from The Carlyle Group & PNC Bank
- Guardhat Releases Smart Glasses Based Solutions for Front-Line Workers
- Elf Prep Academy Trains Elf Recruits to Help Santa Spread Holiday Cheer Just in Time for Christmas
- THE WANDERING PALESTINIAN by Anan Ameri: A Masterful and Riveting Memoir of Activism and Immigration
- Syxsense Announces New Support for Amazon Web Service (AWS) Linux Devices
- Florida Family & Faith International Film Festival Powered by AARP Florida Celebrates Caregivers and Families This Thanksgiving Season
- edjuster Selects CoreLogic to Deliver Modern Contents Estimating Solution to Claims Process
- Credit Card Companies' Support for Small Businesses During COVID-19 Not Enough to Drive Customer Satisfaction, J.D. Power Finds
- Medicom Health Wins 2020 Tekne Award for Rx Savings Assistant®
- Introducing BIAMI.IO Intelligent Automation as a Service Labs
- Michigan: A public hearing to consider the possible parole of Karol Soles, #170214
- National Survey Finds More Than 75% of Individual Investors Would Link Their Shopping Habits and Brand Loyalty to Stock Ownership, and They Desire Stock Perks
- Michigan: MDHHS issues Thanksgiving guidance for vulnerable populations
- Michigan: Attorney General Nessel Commends Canvassers' Certification
- Michigan: Statement from Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson on the Board of State Canvassers certification of Nov. 3 election
- How to sell paparazzi jewelry and use the paparazzi jewelry images you have on your website
- Michigan: EGLE awards nearly $10 million in COVID-19 wastewater surveillance grants and equipment
- Ford to Present at Credit Suisse Industrials and Goldman Sachs Global Automotive Conferences
- The Voice Season 12 Winner Chris Blue Releases Pulsating New Single,"Back 2 The Future"
- Braeden Lichti: Digital Health Trends in 2020