The nomination was co-signed by Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Macomb County Executive Mark Hackel.
The City's proximity to Selfridge Air National Guard Base and the historic and strong defense presence within Macomb County's "Arsenal of Democracy" are factors cited in support of the nomination. This region is world renowned for innovation in the defense industry and possesses the industrial base, elite academic institutions, skilled workforce, and strategic geographic location that all combine to make Sterling Heights the best choice.
Among the headquarter siting factors, Sterling Heights, Macomb County, and the State of Michigan cite the following as "The Michigan Advantage:"
More on Michimich.com
- Consumers Energy Foundation Provides $135,000 to Michigan Nonprofits Through COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4e Brands North America Issues Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Hand Sanitizer Due to Potential Presence of Undeclared Methanol (Wood Alcohol)
- Jurllyshe Back To School Outfits & Clothes Ideas 2020--Jumpsuits, Matching Sets, Dress etc
- Summer Heat Sparks Heavy "Stay at Home" Consumer Demand for Screen Mesh Shade Tarps
- Hillside Terrace Sponsors This Year's Big Hearts Annual Movie Event for The Fifth Year in a Row!
- A highly skilled and educated populaceSuperior facilities and infrastructureStrong business support from the defense community
"When the City's nomination is scored, we are confident that Sterling Heights will be a prime location for the headquarters for the United States Space Command," notes Mayor Taylor. "There is a rich heritage in this region for defense assets and this is a strong foundation for this new undertaking."
"Working alongside our governmental partners and private industry, we have grown to understand that Macomb County is a leader in defense production and innovation," said Macomb County Executive Mark A. Hackel. "As our state explores the feasibility of landing the United States Space Command in our community, we stand ready to illustrate our competitive advantage and showcase the inspiring capabilities we have right here in Macomb."
"As part of this nomination process, we have done an extensive review of the United States Space Command competition criteria," said Maj. Gen. Paul Rogers, Adjutant General and Director of the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. "It is clear that with Macomb County's industrial base, elite academic institutions, skilled manpower, strategic geographic location, and military infrastructure, there is no location that can offer greater value or capacity as a key component for future U.S. Space Forces."
More on Michimich.com
- CNB Community Bancorp, Inc. Reports Record Second Quarter 2020 Results
- Cochrane Supply Announces BASfest | The Tour!
- New Partner at Itero Group Signals Continued Growth
- Travel + Leisure Readers give San Miguel De Allende a reason to Celebrate as it ranks in World's Best Awards
- MULTI-FUN project aims to enable multi-materials metal additive manufacturing for complex 3D parts without size constraints
The United States Space Command is the newest of eleven unified commands in the Department of Defense. Space Command increases the ability of the Joint Force to project power and influence, reduces decision timelines for space operations, and brings focused attention to defending U.S. interests in space. Space Command is a critical first step in accelerating the ability of the Joint Force to defend vital national interests and deter adversaries.
Space Command is temporarily headquartered at Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado.
Sterling Heights, Macomb County, and the State of Michigan look forward to the site selection process and the opportunity to demonstrate why the United States Space Command should locate in the City.
Latest on Michimich.com
- Lantek reinforces its southern European presence by adding a new distributor, AlfaSolid, in Greece and Cyprus
- JNESHIA Unveils New Single "KINGZ"
- WJ Castle Awarded Underwater Inspection Contract from PEPCO Holdings
- MLL Offering Guidance for Mandatory Testing
- Flint Group Sues Trend Offset Printing on Multiple Counts for Outstanding Debt and Confiscation of Consigned Good
- Portillo's announces expansion into Sterling Heights, Michigan
- Intermountain Healthcare Implements DeepThink Health's Precision Intelligence Solutions to Manage its Molecular Tumor Board
- Cure SMA Urges Remaining States to Expedite Adoption of Newborn Screening for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
- PowerOptions Expands Partnership with Solect Energy Through Large-Scale Solar and Storage Program
- Bay Area Health Provider Partners with Medicom Health to Lower Medication Cost for Patients
- Products On The Go is creating the most natural and nourishing products in the country
- Mahmood Khan and Willoughby Symphony crack the Billboard Charts
- NACCE Announces Multi-Year Partnership with the Philip E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation
- Pandemics and Forecasting: Seeing the Way Forward via the Taleb/Ioannidis Debate
- IPD announces special partnership with Maxiforce to expand product reach for its customers
- Overcoming Covid-19 Challenges: Alexander James Rodriguez Releases 'My Crew'
- Anritsu Partners with COMINT Consulting to Add Signals Intelligence Capability to Field Master Pro™ MS2090A RTSA
- Syncro's Next-Gen MSP Platform Sees Massive Growth in 2020
- Extra/Ordinary Small Business Podcast Season 2 Launches with All-Star Lineup