CONTACT: Bob Wheaton, 517-241-2112
LANSING, Mich. – As the state celebrates Adoption Month, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is preparing to kick off two new projects to find adoptive homes more quickly for children in foster care who can't safely return home.
One initiative, which begins in November, assigns 21 child welfare staff from MDHHS called permanency resource monitors to remove barriers to finalizing pending adoptions that have been on hold more than six months. Barriers such as concerns about the child's behavior and incomplete documents can delay adoptions even when a family has been identified.
The second initiative is being planned for mid-2020. MDHHS is working with the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption's Wendy's Wonderful Kids program, which pays for recruiters to help find loving adoptive homes for children in foster care. Research has shown the Wendy's Wonderful Kids model to be more effective at serving children who have been in foster care the longest – including teenagers, sibling groups and children with special needs.
More on Michimich.com
- PEL Labs Now Offers Dropbox Service!
- Amazon confirms opening of new "last-mile" delivery station in Sterling Heights
- American BioDefense Institute Commends Congressman Gosar For BioSecurity Amendment
- MOTOR FleetCross Now Integrated with Fullbay
- 2nd Annual Mile High Denver Boutique Week!
"Every child deserves the opportunity to have a loving, permanent home," said JooYeun Chang, executive director of the MDHHS Children's Services Agency. "MDHHS is committed to finding families for all children who are legally free for adoption – and doing this in a timely fashion. Our staff and partners will continue to work together to better accomplish these goals that are so important for our children and families."
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has declared November to be Adoption Month in Michigan. Courts statewide, in partnership with MDHHS, hold special Adoption Month ceremonies this month at which children officially become permanent members of their new forever families. Included is a Nov. 26 event at the Michigan Supreme Court Hall of Justice in Lansing. A list of Adoption Day events and profiles of adoptive families can be found on the Michigan Adoption Resource exchange Adoption Day webpage.
More on Michimich.com
- CIMdata to Offer Virtual-Live Digital Transformation Short Course in September
- CMR Mechanical Can Help You Improve the Ventilation in Your Home
- Evolve IP Releases RECAP – AI Driven Speech Analytics And Voice Recording Platform For Microsoft Teams, Unified Communications and Contact Center
- Drinkmate Releases the instaFizz- The Stainless-Steel Water Bottle
- Leading OEMs present new model year updates at NTEA's Virtual Truck Product Conference
Anyone interested in adopting from foster care can contact the Michigan Adoption Resource Exchange at 800-589-6273, or see biographies and photos of children available for adoption at www.mare.org.
In fiscal year 2019, 2,038 children were adopted from the Michigan foster care system, according to preliminary data that will be updated in January. There are about 13,100 children in the foster care system, but the goal for most is reunification with their families.
For more information about adoption in Michigan, visit www.michigan.gov/adoption.
Latest on Michimich.com
- JT Legal Group Recognizes the Pandemic of Nursing Home Abuse during COVID-19
- Ocean Conservation Nonprofit, OctoNation, 1 of 14 in North America Accepted to Facebook Community Accelerator Program
- AI.Reverie Awarded $1.5M AFWERX Phase 2 SBIR Contract from U.S. Air Force
- Acumentrics Announces New Website Launch
- Consumers Energy Foundation Provides $135,000 to Michigan Nonprofits Through COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4e Brands North America Issues Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Hand Sanitizer Due to Potential Presence of Undeclared Methanol (Wood Alcohol)
- Trump visit to Atlanta focuses on I-75 South expansion
- Jurllyshe Back To School Outfits & Clothes Ideas 2020--Jumpsuits, Matching Sets, Dress etc
- Summer Heat Sparks Heavy "Stay at Home" Consumer Demand for Screen Mesh Shade Tarps
- Hillside Terrace Sponsors This Year's Big Hearts Annual Movie Event for The Fifth Year in a Row!
- CNB Community Bancorp, Inc. Reports Record Second Quarter 2020 Results
- Cochrane Supply Announces BASfest | The Tour!
- New Partner at Itero Group Signals Continued Growth
- Travel + Leisure Readers give San Miguel De Allende a reason to Celebrate as it ranks in World's Best Awards
- MULTI-FUN project aims to enable multi-materials metal additive manufacturing for complex 3D parts without size constraints
- Allen Maintenance Corporation Can Clean Your Office to Combat COVID-19
- Meijer Opens Five Supercenters in the Midwest
- Sage Intacct Names Alta Vista Technology a Premier Partner
- CIMdata to Host a Free Webinar on the Role of Data Governance in a Digital Transformation
- Archaeology, Israel, and Relationships Featured in Olga Sushinsky's Debut Novel FINDING MYSELF