- MSHDA Board approves grants to Habitat for Humanity of Michigan and CEDAM, supports loans for acquisition and rehabilitation of affordable rental units in rural communities - 110
- Meijer Customer Survey Reveals Kids May be in for Biggest Christmas Surprises
- Michigan: DNR recommends $5.4 million in Land and Water Conservation Fund grants to support park projects
October 23, 2020
LANSING – Attorney General Dana Nessel, on behalf of the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE), filed a civil lawsuit today against the operator of the Arbor Hills Landfill in Salem Township for failing to comply with state and federal regulations and endangering the public health, safety and welfare.
Attorney General Nessel and EGLE are seeking injunctive relief in Ingham County 30th Circuit Court to require Advanced Disposal Services Arbor Hills Landfill Inc. to operate its landfill in compliance with state and federal law for air quality and solid waste management.
"The operator of the Arbor Hills Landfill has continually demonstrated a blatant disregard for the serious concerns raised by community members and the state," Nessel said. "This site has been a nuisance for years and the potential threat to the health of nearby residents is significant. At this juncture, legal action is clearly a necessity and my office will support EGLE's enforcement efforts so that our residents' health and our natural resources are not subjected to the hazardous pollution created by this landfill."
The suit alleges that Advanced Disposal Services has consistently failed to install an adequate collection and control system to capture gas generated from both active and non-active areas of the landfill and failed to address leachate issues at its landfill. The operator indicated it would fix these problems but has failed to act.
More on Michimich.com
- Michigan's older adults can connect virtually with family and friends this holiday season; MDHHS partners with GetSetUp to help residents cope with COVID-19 separation
- Adrian Peterson Teams up With The Athletes' Corner to Provide 100,000 Meals to Families in Association With His Custom Thanksgiving Day Cleats
- ProSource Diesel,Where Repair Shops Shop for Hard-to-Find Truck Parts and Kits, Celebrates Anniversary!
- Michigan: Virtual public meeting scheduled Dec. 7 to discuss 2021 I-75 BL lane reconfiguration in St. Ignace
- Michigan: Blossomland Bridge closing in St. Joseph starting Dec. 1
Leachate is the liquid that gathers along the bottom double-liner of a landfill and can include liquid from the waste itself, rainwater and other outside sources. If not properly managed and removed, it can build up and potentially contaminate groundwater and other water resources.
"Our goal is to ensure Arbor Hills Landfill is not a nuisance to neighbors, and that the facility operates safely in compliance with state and federal laws for air quality and waste management," said EGLE Director Liesl Clark.
EGLE began receiving complaints in January 2016 from nearby residents about odor coming from the landfill, which is located at 10690 West Six Mile Road in Washtenaw County's Salem Township. Solid waste landfills emit air pollutants, including hydrogen sulfide and methane. Hydrogen sulfide emissions contribute to the nuisance odors. Methane is extremely flammable and presents safety risks if not properly managed and allowed to build up.
Rep. Matt Koleszar and Sen. Dayna Polehanki, whose districts include the Arbor Hills Landfill, have also been fielding resident calls about the site.
"This progress is due to the tireless work of advocates in our community," said Koleszar. "Our friends and neighbors stood up to say corporate polluters who willingly contaminate Michigan's air, water and land for the sake of profit must be held accountable — and I stand with you. I want to thank the Attorney General for joining us in this fight to protect our home."
More on Michimich.com
- Attorney General Nessel Reaches Settlement in Progress Michigan's FOIA Lawsuit Against Former AG's Administration
- Michigan: Former Youth Basketball Coach Jerrell Sanders Sent to Prison for Sex Crime
- New Mom Pens Book to Inspire Daughter's Future
- Micro Kickboard Announces Scooters Made From Recycled Fishing Nets
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client CBC Federal Credit Union for Customer Service Accolades
"Northville Township residents have suffered far too long due to the negligence of the operators of the Arbor Hills Landfill," said Senator Polehanki. "Their blatant disregard for air quality has been a nuisance to our community for years without meaningful improvement. Our community members and leaders persistently sounded the alarm about the landfill's continuous violations, and I am grateful for their fierce advocacy. It has been a pleasure to work with Attorney General Dana Nessel as she holds this landfill's operators accountable."
Following investigations by EGLE and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, fugitive emissions were found to be the primary source of the odors. The state department issued multiple violation notices to the operator for its failures to properly operate the landfill and the gas collection and control system.
However, Advanced Disposal Services' failure to address the concerns has resulted in the state filing this lawsuit.
Click here to view a copy of the complaint.
Latest on Michimich.com
- Michigan: MDOT virtual public meeting Dec. 2 to discuss US-12 Planning and Environmental Linkage (PEL) study in Detroit
- Zippy Shell and Subsidiary 1-800-PACK-RAT Secure Financing from The Carlyle Group & PNC Bank
- Guardhat Releases Smart Glasses Based Solutions for Front-Line Workers
- Elf Prep Academy Trains Elf Recruits to Help Santa Spread Holiday Cheer Just in Time for Christmas
- THE WANDERING PALESTINIAN by Anan Ameri: A Masterful and Riveting Memoir of Activism and Immigration
- Syxsense Announces New Support for Amazon Web Service (AWS) Linux Devices
- Florida Family & Faith International Film Festival Powered by AARP Florida Celebrates Caregivers and Families This Thanksgiving Season
- edjuster Selects CoreLogic to Deliver Modern Contents Estimating Solution to Claims Process
- Credit Card Companies' Support for Small Businesses During COVID-19 Not Enough to Drive Customer Satisfaction, J.D. Power Finds
- Medicom Health Wins 2020 Tekne Award for Rx Savings Assistant®
- Introducing BIAMI.IO Intelligent Automation as a Service Labs
- Michigan: A public hearing to consider the possible parole of Karol Soles, #170214
- National Survey Finds More Than 75% of Individual Investors Would Link Their Shopping Habits and Brand Loyalty to Stock Ownership, and They Desire Stock Perks
- Michigan: MDHHS issues Thanksgiving guidance for vulnerable populations
- Michigan: Attorney General Nessel Commends Canvassers' Certification
- Michigan: Statement from Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson on the Board of State Canvassers certification of Nov. 3 election
- How to sell paparazzi jewelry and use the paparazzi jewelry images you have on your website
- Michigan: EGLE awards nearly $10 million in COVID-19 wastewater surveillance grants and equipment
- Ford to Present at Credit Suisse Industrials and Goldman Sachs Global Automotive Conferences
- The Voice Season 12 Winner Chris Blue Releases Pulsating New Single,"Back 2 The Future"