- Michigan: AG Nessel, Kalamazoo Prosecutor Getting Announce Sentencing in Sexual Assault Cold Cases
- Online gaming and sports betting are now live in Michigan as Sen. Hertel places first wager
- Michigan: First Circuit Court of Appeals Decision Saves Millions in Annual Funding for Schools, First Responders
Nov. 24, 2020
Jill A. Greenberg, Public Information Officer, GreenbergJ@Michigan.gov, 517-388-3135
Annette Switzer, Permit Section Manager, SwitzerA2@Michigan.gov, 517-643-3847
Violation notice issued for starting construction early
The Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) today is requiring Graphic Packaging International in Kalamazoo, through a condition of their approved permit, to cease the use of one of its boilers for its recycled paperboard line.
EGLE approved an air permit in March to allow Graphic Packaging to add a paperboard line to its facility where it produces paper products from recycled material. Since then, Graphic Packaging requested to make changes to some of the equipment that emits air contaminants. To make those changes, the company was required to seek approval from EGLE through changes to its air permit.
Graphic Packaging had begun to install equipment before the permit was approved, which is a violation of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended. Based on this information, EGLE issued a violation notice on Nov. 20. Graphic Packaging has until Dec. 11 to respond. Once a response is received and reviewed, EGLE will determine if additional enforcement action against the company will be taken.
More on Michimich.com
- Wohler releases Dolby Atmos 3D Room Visualizer for their iAM-12G-SDI
- Sterling Heights: Mid-January Service Update
- PhaseZero Announces Integration with WHI to Improve Digital Commerce and Customer Experience for Heavy-Duty and Automotive Aftermarket Industry
- Dow named to Bloomberg's 2021 Gender-Equality Index
- Beyond Social Responsibility: Black-led Venture Funds Generate Outsized Returns, Help Close Racial Wealth Gap
In deciding whether to approve the changes to Graphic Packaging's air permit, EGLE sought public input during a six-week comment period that included an information session and public hearing. After a review of public comments, EGLE revised the air permit to require Graphic Packaging to permanently shut down Boiler 7 by May 1, 2022. The boiler shutdown reduces the facility's increase in greenhouse gas emissions related to the project. Emissions from the proposed project are not expected to cause health concerns nor be a detriment to the area's environmental quality. In addition, the air permit also requires Graphic Packaging continue operating its hydrogen sulfide Envirosuite stationary monitoring system.
As part of the requirements of its March air permit, Graphic Packaging had to develop and implement an Odor Investigation Plan. Results from the investigation, which include facility perimeter and community monitoring stations for hydrogen sulfide, were sent to EGLE on Nov. 3. This investigation was required after EGLE cited Graphic Packaging eight times since 2012 for odor violations after concerns were raised by the public. EGLE has received more than 100 complaints related to the company since 2010 and more than 80 of these were for odors. Graphic Packaging is also required to submit to EGLE an Odor Minimization Plan by early January 2021.
More on Michimich.com
- Brazil's ANVISA Grants Novel Food Approval for NEM® brand eggshell membrane
- CreditSnap, a next generation FinTech startup, announces strategic seed investment from multi-lender finance platform Tresl, its earliest adopter
- TCF Declares Quarterly Cash Dividends
- Michigan Teachers Chosen As State Finalists for Presidential Teaching Award
- Michigan: Recent real estate transactions improve western UP trail access
If residents have complaints about Graphic Packaging, they should contact Monica Brothers of EGLE's Air Quality Division in the Kalamazoo District Office at 269-312-2535 or at BrothersM@Michigan.gov.
For more information about Graphic Packaging, go to Michigan.gov/EGLEGraphicPackaging.
Latest on Michimich.com
- Three northern Michigan men arraigned in 2019 Pigeon River Country elk poaching case
- Michigan: Elder Abuse Task Force Announces New Online Trainings on the Signs of Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve E. Main Street in the city of Milan
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer, MDHHS highlight state's successes in helping families gain greater access to food; Priority becomes even more important due to COVID-19
- MC Companies and Move For Hunger Announce Collaborative Effort to Fight Hunger Nationwide
- Public can comment on Michigan Dam Safety Task Force draft recommendations at online meeting Wednesday
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve Three Mile Road in the city of Sault Ste. Marie
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve Miller Road in the city of Kalamazoo
- Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve N. Michigan Avenue in Saginaw County's Carrollton Township
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve Rickett Road in the city of Brighton
- Michigan: MSHDA Board approves resolutions for two affordable housing developments
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve S. Kalamazoo Avenue in the city of Marshall
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve E. Breitung Avenue in Dickinson County
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer announces transportation economic development grant that will improve Maple Street in the city of Big Rapids
- Peninsula Fiber Network Announces Leadership Succession Plan
- Simply The Best Digital To Provide Digital Marketing Services to Urgent Home Care - Palm Beach's Leading Home Health Service
- 1-800-PACK-RAT Acquires Storage Squad, a Leader in the Student Storage Industry
- White Palms Fire Equipment Doubles Down on Online Presence By Hiring Leading Digital Marketing Company, Simply the Best Digital
- Goldfish Swim School Reflects on Historic Year While Expanding with Single & Multi-Unit Partners in 2021
- Consumers Energy Provides $3 Million to Help Michigan Residents with Energy Bills