Law enforcement officers know from the minute they step foot in the academy that they are signing up for a life-and-death mission. They prepare for it, spending hours at the shooting range, learning expert driving maneuvers, practicing ways to diffuse the most difficult and dangerous of situations and always – always – learning to be courageous enough to run in when others run out.
It is for them that we take this moment to pay tribute to Detroit Police Department Captain Jonathan Parnell and a department dispatcher, along with the souls of Wayne County Sheriff's Office Commander Donafay Collins and Deputy Dean Savard – who paid the ultimate sacrifice in the line of duty in the most unexpected way – in a way that bullet proof vests and all the range practice in the world couldn't protect them from.
More on Michimich.com
- Michigan: Lane closures for Portage Lake Lift Bridge inspection set for June 10
- Michigan Issues Payments to Utilities for Low-income Customers to Help Them Keep Their Energy Services Connected During COVID-19
- Governor Whitmer Rescinds Safer at Home Order, Moves Michigan to Phase Four of the MI Safe Start Plan
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer Calls for Unity Following President Trump's Call for Governors to 'Dominate' Protesters
- Pomegranate Pictures Attaches Hollywood Vet Sam Sako
Like our health care workers, our law enforcement officers are also on the front lines of our current public health crisis. It is because of them – fearless, committed and sincere protectors in our communities – that we're reminded to live each day to ensure their ultimate sacrifice isn't in vain.
To their families, there are no words to adequately describe our deepest condolences during this time of heartbreaking grief and sorrow. Please remember that you too are heroes among us as we owe you a debt of gratitude that we can never pay in full. Thank you for your loved one's service and thank you for sharing them with all of us.
To every resident in this great state of Michigan, your life depends on doing your part to stop the spread of COVID-19. Do your part so that no one else has to sacrifice their life. Do your part so that no else has to mourn that sacrifice.
Latest on Michimich.com
- Los Angeles Based, 8th Floor LLC & ChildFaceMask.com Give Back to the Community While Protecting Children from COVID-19, Viruses, Allergies, & more
- Michigan: Rumble strip installation on I-75 starts tomorrow in northern Oakland County
- New Manufacturers' Resource: Dynamic Improvement Group Works to Boost Factory Efficiencies
- OCI Announces Appointment of Dr. Luke Matranga, Former President of Academy of General Dentistry, to OCI Dental Advisory Board
- Limitless Herbal Ltd Closes on Multi-Million Dollar CBD Deal
- ASCEND 2020 Atlanta Alumni pivot, to create Joint Venture RTW (Return to Work) Solutions Group to provide COVID-19 Business Services
- Little Caesars Popular Crazy Bread® Gets Gooey, Melty, Cheesy Spin-Off
- Real Estate Loans Are Closing During Global Pandemic. Just Ask Rickey Biddle of Philadelphia
- Michigan: Northbound M-39 service drive and ramps closing at US-12 for three weeks for bridge work
- Michigan: Northbound M-24 closing at Drahner Road as work begins in downtown Oxford in northern Oakland County
- Michigan: Secretary Benson: Don't miss June 1 deadline to apply for the Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission
- Michigan: Big Beaver Road to close under I-75 Monday night in Oakland County for new bridge deck concrete pour
- MI Symptoms Web Application Helps Michiganders Track Symptoms; Informs Reopening Strategy
- Michigan regional jobless rates surge in April with COVID-19 pandemic
- Michigan: Lawmakers Sponsor Upcoming Auto Insurance Town Halls
- STARK Industries, LLC Awarded NASA JPL - VITAL Ventilator Manufacturing License to Combat the Global COVID-19 Crisis
- Proposed 2020-21 Sterling Heights Budget Funds Critical Needs with No Tax Increase
- Evolve IP Offers Rapid Deployment of Desktop as a Service to Ingram Micro Partners
- Michigan: AG Nessel Supports Legislative Effort to Re-engage Economy Safely
- Michigan: MDARD Director Statement Regarding $22.5 Million Rural Broadband Investment from USDA