FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 4, 2020
Contact: Lynn Sutfin, 517-241-2112
LANSING, MICH. The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) stands with mental health advocates and organizations in recognizing May as Mental Health Month. Observed nationally since 1949 and traditionally symbolized by a green ribbon, the mental health awareness effort sets a goal to combat stigma and provide support and education on matters pertaining to mental illness. It also aims to draw attention to suicide, which can be brought on by mental illness, in the hopes of further development of suicide prevention strategies.
During the COVID-19 crisis, mental health is increasingly becoming a focus of attention. In response, information about available mental health resources can be found through the state's Stay Home, Stay Well initiative. These efforts are to help build resilience in Michigan residents trying to cope emotionally with the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, and include links to crisis help lines, guidance documents, videos and other mental health resources at Michigan.gov/StayWell.
More on Michimich.com
- Consumers Energy Foundation Provides $135,000 to Michigan Nonprofits Through COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4e Brands North America Issues Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Hand Sanitizer Due to Potential Presence of Undeclared Methanol (Wood Alcohol)
- Jurllyshe Back To School Outfits & Clothes Ideas 2020--Jumpsuits, Matching Sets, Dress etc
- Summer Heat Sparks Heavy "Stay at Home" Consumer Demand for Screen Mesh Shade Tarps
- Hillside Terrace Sponsors This Year's Big Hearts Annual Movie Event for The Fifth Year in a Row!
Almost one in five Americans has some form of mental illness, and these conditions are often stigmatized and treated differently from physical health conditions.
"Defeating this stigma is critical to helping people feel more comfortable accessing the support they need when they need it," said Dr. Debra Pinals, psychiatrist and MDHHS medical director for behavioral health. "Mental health and well-being are just as important as our physical well-being. At MDHHS, we honor Mental Health Month by emphasizing that it is okay to reach out for help and connecting people with the right resources."
All Michiganders are encouraged to observe Mental Health Month by reaching out to talk to those who may be struggling or feel isolated, Pinals said. Human contact can make a difference, even if that contact needs to be done virtually.
Learn more ways to cope at Michigan.gov/StayWell. Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at Michigan.gov/Coronavirus and CDC.gov/Coronavirus.
Latest on Michimich.com
- Allen Maintenance Corporation Can Clean Your Office to Combat COVID-19
- Meijer Opens Five Supercenters in the Midwest
- Sage Intacct Names Alta Vista Technology a Premier Partner
- CIMdata to Host a Free Webinar on the Role of Data Governance in a Digital Transformation
- Archaeology, Israel, and Relationships Featured in Olga Sushinsky's Debut Novel FINDING MYSELF
- Civilized Demons and Hell Featured in Jon David's Debut Novel THE SAVAGE PEAK
- Axiros AXESS ACS Enables UK ISP, Origin Broadband, With TR-069 Device Management Solution
- Newest Analysis from ImmersivEdge Advisors Helps Investors Make the Right Moves in the Dynamic AR & Smartglasses Industry
- Wheaton Family Law Attorney - Tania K. Harvey Launches New Website | Wheaton IL Family Lawyers
- Americart 2019 Documentary Film about Art in America's Heartland now available on Amazon Prime Video
- Seismic Shift from New York to the Palm Beaches Signals Permanent Residency, Not Seasonal Vacation Homes
- Travel + Leisure Readers Give San Miguel De Allende a Reason to Celebrate as It Ranks In World's Best Awards
- CIMdata Publishes China PLM Market Report
- NS4ed Partners with MetaMetrics to Offer Quantile Measures and Career Database for new Career-Focused Algebra and Geometry Curricula
- Thiel College and local Veterans of Foreign Wars post to research connections to Camp Reynolds and World War II
- Lantek reinforces its southern European presence by adding a new distributor, AlfaSolid, in Greece and Cyprus
- JNESHIA Unveils New Single "KINGZ"
- WJ Castle Awarded Underwater Inspection Contract from PEPCO Holdings
- MLL Offering Guidance for Mandatory Testing
- Flint Group Sues Trend Offset Printing on Multiple Counts for Outstanding Debt and Confiscation of Consigned Good