MDOS Language Access Task Force supporting voters and residents across the state
Arabic speakers are invited to join a virtual voter education event today hosted by the Michigan Department of State Language Access Task Force. The 6 p.m. event is the first in a series that the task force will hold in numerous languages in the final weeks before the Nov. 3 election. Residents interested in participating can go to bit.ly/YemeniVote
"I am grateful to the task force for their work to ensure all citizens across the state have equal access to our elections," said Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson. "Every citizen has a right to know that Michigan elections are safe and secure, accurate and accessible."
Voter education events in other languages are in the final stages of planning, and will be announced soon on Michigan Department of State social media accounts.
The Task Force is also assisting with the translation, creation and distribution of various documents and videos to ensure people learning English have access to all MDOS services. They are focusing their efforts on creating materials and events in languages spoken across Michigan, including Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Hindi, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, Tagalog, and Urdu. Additionally, they have partnered with Global Michigan to recruit multilingual election workers and are promoting the national voter hotlines available in Arabic and Spanish.
More on Michimich.com
- Emily Doerr named Director of Michigan State Land Bank Authority
- Beauty at the Beast – The Headless Horseman Rides Again
- MarketKeep Partners with Heather Hilliard Design
- Michigan: Nessel Issues Consumer Alert on Benefits, Drawbacks of Smartphone Tracking Features
- Michigan: EVENT - MDHHS to host COVID-19 virtual roundtable with national, state and local experts
Secretary Benson convened the Task Force in May. It is comprised of over 50 community organizations across the state that have worked with non-English speaking communities for decades. More information is available at Michigan.gov/SOSPartnersInDemocracy by clicking the button for "Language Access." The Task Force is continuously growing, to get involved, please contact MDOS Public Engagement Associate, Bilal Hammoud, Hammoudb@Michigan.gov
# # #
For media. questions, contact
Tracy Wimmer at 517-281-1876.
We welcome questions and comments at the Contact the Secretary of State page.
Customers may call the Department of State Information Center to
speak to a customer-service representative at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Latest on Michimich.com
- All of the "Favorite Brands" - Scrubs 2020
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client Criterion HCM on Top Workplaces Title
- TomCat Films ignites the fireplace video category with 'My Fireplace Girl' series of DVDs and Streaming Videos
- Metropolitan Opera Singer Releases Pop Music Videos From Quarantine
- Michigan: Bureau of Services for Blind Persons presents Honor Roll Achievement Awards
- Michigan: MDE Awards Over $37 Million to Districts For Technology Gaps and Mental Health Needs in the Pandemic
- "W1SH RIBBON" Emblazons TOKYO SKYTREE'S Tembo Deck! TOKYO SKYTREE is Opening the Door to the Future So That W1SHES Can Come True!
- Pierre Gervois Awarded Prestigious George Stoney Social Impact Award for his TV show The Face of America
- Michigan: EGLE testing data shows drop in Huron River PFAS contamination after treatment installed upstream
- Michigan: Video: In wake of road worker deaths, Gov. Whitmer reminds travelers to drive like this is your workplace
- Michigan: 'Railroad Dock' boating access site to close temporarily in Menominee County
- Michigan: Maintenance project on M-55/I-75 BL near West Branch starts next week
- Michigan Indian Legal Services Halloween Party
- Flagstar Bancorp, Inc. Announces Proposed Offering of Subordinated Notes
- New Semiconductor Chip from NS Nanotech Emits Far-UVC Disinfectant Ultraviolet Light to Neutralize Coronavirus
- Launching New No Touch Tool Made from EPA Registered Alloy
- Michigan: MDHHS announces $50,000 grant for direct care worker infection control training
- Michigan: AG Lawsuit Stops Trump Administration's Cuts to SNAP Food Assistance for 700,000 Unemployed Americans
- Michigan Civil Rights Commission Recognizes Contributions of Michigan's LGBTQ Community, Reaffirms Commitment to Protection for LGBTQ Civil Rights under ELCRA
- Redemption on Yosemite's Mist Trail: The New Literary Masterpiece RANGE OF LIGHT by Scott Neuffer