Pear Sperling Eggan & Daniels, P.C. Discuss What to Expect from a Divorce with Children in Michigan

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - Michimich -- Unlike a divorce without minor children, when minor children are involved there's a minimum waiting period of 6 months before the Court will grant a divorce. During the divorce process, you'll settle issues regarding spousal support, property division, and division of marital debt, as well as custody issues and child support regarding the minor child(ren).  There are two types of custody: physical and legal.  Physical custody determines who the children reside with, while legal custody grants the rights to make important decisions regarding the child(ren), including medical, educational and religious decisions.  Both custody matters can be granted to one parent (sole custody) or shared between both parents (joint custody).

Child support is then determined based on by the custody determination and as well as each party's financial status and ability to provide for the minor child(ren). Referrals are usually made to the Friend of the Court to assist in determining these issues. Learn more about getting a divorce in Michigan with children here (

More on
It's always nice to have someone in your corner to help guide you through this emotional time.  If you would like to learn more about divorce in Ann Arbor, or the surrounding areas, contact a divorce attorney at Pear Sperling Eggan & Daniels, P.C. today! Schedule an initial consultation. (734) 665-4441

About Pear Sperling Eggan & Daniels, P.C.: Pear Sperling Eggan & Daniels, P.C. is one of the oldest law firms in Washtenaw County, Michigan. Founded in 1948, Pear Sperling has adapted with the ever-changing needs of clients and flourished into a well-respected and successful law firm, trusted by clients, judges and other attorneys. Top Rated Michigan Superlawyers®, AV® rated, and their attorneys are held to the highest rating possible based on peer review.

Marty Bodnar

Source: Pear Sperling Eggan & Daniels, P.C.
Filed Under: Legal

Show All News | Report Violation


Latest on