LANSING – 250,000 Michigan voters will receive applications to serve on the Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission after a random name draw held today in Lansing.
Representatives from third-party independent governmental accounting firm Rehmann LLC randomly selected names of residents to whom an ICRC application packet will be mailed prior to Jan. 1, 2020. This occurred while members of the public and the media observed.
"The random public selection made today is an important step in the constitutionally mandated process to put citizens in charge of redrawing the state's legislative districts," Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson said. "As the administrator of the application and selection process, I am committed to implementing the will of the voters with transparency and independence at each step, and by inviting the widespread participation of our citizens throughout the process. The random selection today is reflective of this approach and obligation to make the mandate from voters a reality."
All Michiganders are encouraged to apply for the commission, whether or not they receive a randomly selected mailing. Last month, Secretary Benson announced that applications to serve are now available online at RedistrictingMichigan.org and began hosting application workshops across the state. Applications must be signed in the presence of a notary and returned to the Department of State by June 1, 2020.
More on Michimich.com
- Consumers Energy Foundation Provides $135,000 to Michigan Nonprofits Through COVID-19 Pandemic
- 4e Brands North America Issues Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Hand Sanitizer Due to Potential Presence of Undeclared Methanol (Wood Alcohol)
- Jurllyshe Back To School Outfits & Clothes Ideas 2020--Jumpsuits, Matching Sets, Dress etc
- Summer Heat Sparks Heavy "Stay at Home" Consumer Demand for Screen Mesh Shade Tarps
- Hillside Terrace Sponsors This Year's Big Hearts Annual Movie Event for The Fifth Year in a Row!
According to the Michigan Constitution, in June of 2020 the Secretary of State must randomly select 200 semi-finalists (60 applicants who affiliate with the Democratic Party, 60 applicants who affiliate with the Republican Party, and 80 applicants who do not affiliate with either party). Half of these semi-finalists must be recipients of the random mailing. The entire pool of 200 semi-finalists must mirror the geographic and demographic makeup of the state of Michigan. If an applicant applies today at RedistrictingMichigan.org, and they later receive the random mailing, they will still be counted as a random mailing recipient for the purposes of the June random selection.
The constitution requires that the Secretary of State mail applications to a minimum of 10,000 randomly selected Michigan voters. Because this is the first time Michigan or any other state is implementing a citizens redistricting amendment with these requirements, the Secretary of State is randomly selecting 250,000 Michigan registered voters to receive an application to ensure that the requisite number of individuals will respond to the mailing.
District lines for political offices in Michigan, as in other states, must be redrawn every 10 years following the U.S. Census. The final 13-member citizen commission, once selected, will have exclusive authority to adopt district boundaries for the Michigan Senate, Michigan House of Representatives and U.S. Congress every 10 years and will be made up of four Democrats, four Republicans and five unaffiliated voters. The deadline for the commission to adopt a redistricting plan for Michigan's districts is Nov. 1, 2021.
More on Michimich.com
- CNB Community Bancorp, Inc. Reports Record Second Quarter 2020 Results
- Cochrane Supply Announces BASfest | The Tour!
- New Partner at Itero Group Signals Continued Growth
- Travel + Leisure Readers give San Miguel De Allende a reason to Celebrate as it ranks in World's Best Awards
- MULTI-FUN project aims to enable multi-materials metal additive manufacturing for complex 3D parts without size constraints
Rehmann LLC, of Troy, was selected through a standard public procurement process to perform the random selection of mailing recipients. In order to ensure a fully random drawing of names, the firm used a software called CaseWare IDEA, standard off-the-shelf software used by certified public accountants nationwide.
Under the new constitutional provision, voters assigned the Secretary of State the responsibility of administering the application and selection process of commissioners, as well as providing administrative support to the commission once formed.
# # #
For media questions, contact
Mike Doyle at DoyleM@Michigan.gov
We welcome questions and comments at the Contact the Secretary of State page.
Customers may call the Department of State Information Center to
speak to a customer-service representative at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Latest on Michimich.com
- Lantek reinforces its southern European presence by adding a new distributor, AlfaSolid, in Greece and Cyprus
- JNESHIA Unveils New Single "KINGZ"
- WJ Castle Awarded Underwater Inspection Contract from PEPCO Holdings
- MLL Offering Guidance for Mandatory Testing
- Flint Group Sues Trend Offset Printing on Multiple Counts for Outstanding Debt and Confiscation of Consigned Good
- Portillo's announces expansion into Sterling Heights, Michigan
- Intermountain Healthcare Implements DeepThink Health's Precision Intelligence Solutions to Manage its Molecular Tumor Board
- Cure SMA Urges Remaining States to Expedite Adoption of Newborn Screening for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
- PowerOptions Expands Partnership with Solect Energy Through Large-Scale Solar and Storage Program
- Bay Area Health Provider Partners with Medicom Health to Lower Medication Cost for Patients
- Products On The Go is creating the most natural and nourishing products in the country
- Mahmood Khan and Willoughby Symphony crack the Billboard Charts
- NACCE Announces Multi-Year Partnership with the Philip E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation
- Pandemics and Forecasting: Seeing the Way Forward via the Taleb/Ioannidis Debate
- IPD announces special partnership with Maxiforce to expand product reach for its customers
- Overcoming Covid-19 Challenges: Alexander James Rodriguez Releases 'My Crew'
- Anritsu Partners with COMINT Consulting to Add Signals Intelligence Capability to Field Master Pro™ MS2090A RTSA
- Syncro's Next-Gen MSP Platform Sees Massive Growth in 2020
- Extra/Ordinary Small Business Podcast Season 2 Launches with All-Star Lineup