Renewal options are varied and convenient
LANSING – Residents heading south for the winter are reminded to renew their driver's licenses and license plates before leaving Michigan.
People can renew plates for individually owned or leased cars, pickup trucks, vans and motorcycles up to six months before they expire. They can renew early online at ExpressSOS.com or at a Secretary of State office – even if they have not received their renewal information in the mail. License plate tabs will arrive by mail within two weeks. Company-owned passenger plates cannot be renewed early.
Driver's licenses (for drivers ages 21 and older) and state ID cards may be renewed up to a year early. Motorists also have the option of obtaining a REAL ID-compliant license or state ID card at no extra cost when renewing. Certain paperwork and a visit to a branch is required, so drivers are encouraged to check Michigan.gov/REALID or call the Department of State Information Center at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424) for more details.
More on Michimich.com
- PEL Labs Now Offers Dropbox Service!
- Amazon confirms opening of new "last-mile" delivery station in Sterling Heights
- American BioDefense Institute Commends Congressman Gosar For BioSecurity Amendment
- MOTOR FleetCross Now Integrated with Fullbay
- 2nd Annual Mile High Denver Boutique Week!
Customers visiting a branch office should consider scheduling an appointment. Appointments are reserved online at Michigan.gov/SOSAppointments and help ensure that visits are 30 minutes or less. Customers select the day, time and branch office location that best fits their schedule. They should plan on arriving 10 minutes early the day of their appointment and will be called to the counter by a service representative when their time has arrived.
# # #
For media questions, contact
Mike Doyle at DoyleM@Michigan.gov
We welcome questions and comments at the Contact the Secretary of State page.
Customers may call the Department of State Information Center to
speak to a customer-service representative at 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Latest on Michimich.com
- ASI Introduces "iMIS Inspire for Virtual Conferences Powered by OpenWater"
- NACCE Launched Partnership with Uplift Now
- With an eye toward safety, Sterling Heights opens new Election Center, adds ballot drop boxes
- Black Female Talk Show Host Launches Community of Professionals To Help Bring Multiracial Business Owners & Entrepreneurs Together
- The 100 Best Places To Buy A Vacation Rental in 2020. Report Download Now Available
- Atlantic Cruising Yachts Expanding to Texas with New Partnership: ACY Texas
- Working parent support is not just for mommas. Working parenthood takes a Villyge
- Clearwater Living Opens Clearwater at Sonoma Hills, an Assisted Living and Memory Support Community
- Joel Lindholm Head of CBRS LTE/5G at Facebook to Keynote the Connected Virtual Tech Event
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott Sacramento Airport Natomas, CA Opens
- Allen Maintenance Corporation Is Your Commercial Cleaning and Building Maintenance Partner
- CIMdata's President & CEO, Peter Bilello, to Participate in a Webinar on Easier Ways to do
- The Positive Patriot: Robert Dempster Joins The Radio Team at WDTK - The Patriot
- Brooks Bell Launches Inaugural Report, Setting Industry Standard for Experimentation Programs
- Women in Quantum Summit launch event
- JT Legal Group Recognizes the Pandemic of Nursing Home Abuse during COVID-19
- Ocean Conservation Nonprofit, OctoNation, 1 of 14 in North America Accepted to Facebook Community Accelerator Program
- AI.Reverie Awarded $1.5M AFWERX Phase 2 SBIR Contract from U.S. Air Force
- Acumentrics Announces New Website Launch
- Consumers Energy Foundation Provides $135,000 to Michigan Nonprofits Through COVID-19 Pandemic