- COVID-19 Omicron variant illustrates importance of getting vaccinated, including booster doses, wearing masks, other mitigation strategies; MDHHS is monitoring to identify any presence in Michigan, but has not yet detected new variant
- Michigan: PHOTOS: MDARD Director Gary McDowell Celebrates Small Business Saturday with Kluck Nursery
- Governor Whitmer Announces 16 Communities to Receive Additional Funding to Invest in Local Parks and Trails throughout Michigan
"It's never OK to drink and drive as it's not only illegal, it's deadly, and no one should ever take that risk," said MLCC Chair Pat Gagliardi. "Even if you've only had one drink, make it your priority to ensure the safety of yourself and others. Give the car keys to a sober friend, or use public transportation or a rideshare service to avoid impaired driving and get home safely."
Ridesharing services are making it easier for people to not drive drunk. According to a new study by the Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, ridesharing services may be lowering drunk driving deaths. More rideshare trips mean fewer alcohol-involved accidents. The convenience of rideshare services such as Lyft and Uber can be booked through phone apps, giving people no excuse to make the wrong decision.
More on Michimich.com
- Xoran's VetCAT 3D CT Imaging Implemented at Chicago Exotics Animal Hospital
- Michigan: MDARD Issues Consumer Advisory for Certain Enoki Mushrooms
- Michigan: AG Nessel Issues Statement on New Charges in Oxford High School Shooting
- Michigan: State Leaders React to Federal Plan to Increase Access to COVID-19 Testing to Battle COVID-19 this Winter
- Option traders think Hertz stock could reach $30 soon
The MLCC offers the state's liquor licensees and their patrons these important reminders to help ensure a safe Thanksgiving holiday weekend.
Consumer Tips for a Safe Night Out
- Plan a safe way home before you leave the house. Once you start drinking you likely won't make good choices.
- Designate a sober driver plan to use public transportation or ride sharing services to get home safely.
- If you see a drunk driver on the road, call 911 to reach law enforcement.
- Have a friend who is about to drink and drive? Take the keys away and make arrangements to get your friend home safely.
Tips for Liquor Licensees
- Ask for valid identification to verify a patron's age is 21 years or older before selling or serving alcohol to them.
- Serve responsibly to ensure that no one becomes intoxicated in your business.
- Do not sell or serve alcoholic beverages to individuals who appear intoxicated and do not allow an intoxicated person to consume alcoholic beverages on the licensed premises.
- Intoxicated individuals who enter your establishment are not allowed to purchase or consume alcohol.
- Know your establishment's capacity level to avoid overcrowding that can lead to obstructed exits which are safety and fire hazards.
- Maintain order and control of the premises through constant observance of customers and situations.
The MLCC joins with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to remind Michiganders that Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving and if you feel different, you drive different. For more information, visit www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving.
More on Michimich.com
- NAC Applauds Federal Bank Regulators for Updating & Clarifying BSA/AML Examination Manual Section on Banking of Independent ATM Companies
- Michigan: MDHHS updates school guidance quarantine guidelines, continues to strongly recommend universal masking to prevent spread of COVID-19
- Michigan: Eligible Municipalities Encouraged to Register for Participation in Historic Opioid Settlement
- MSG's Web Design Year in Review
- NSG Spills the Truth About Wix
According to NHTSA, from 2015 to 2019, more than 800 people died in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes during the Thanksgiving holiday period (6 p.m. Wednesday to 5:59 a.m. Monday), making it one of the deadliest holidays. In fact, during 2017 alone, more than one out of every three traffic fatalities during the Thanksgiving holiday period involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
MLCC Commissioners Gagliardi, Olshove, Lasher, Toma and Gonzales wishes all Michiganders a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
It is the mission of the MLCC to make alcoholic beverages available for consumption while protecting the consumer and the general public through the regulation of those involved in the importation, sale, consumption, distribution, and delivery of these alcohol products.
Latest on Michimich.com
- EA Sports and Activision Former VP Kim Salzer Steps in as CMO for NFT Gaming Social Impact Ecosystem Original Gamer Life
- Michigan Indigent Defense Commission Selects Kristen Staley as Executive Director
- Michigan: Grant funding to help low-income customers pay home heating bills announced for 2021-2022
- State of Michigan secures additional federal team to assist Covenant HealthCare in Saginaw with staffing
- Avert Holiday Anxiety and Depression with Self-Care
- Construction Tool & Supply of Warren, MI Acquired by Individual Investor
- DC Norris North America Offers Cash-Back Rebate on New Commercial Sous Vide Cook Tank
- California Air Resources Board Chair Liane Randolph to present keynote address at Green Truck Summit
- Michigan: AG Nessel Shares Giving Reminders Following Oxford High School Tragedy
- Michigan: Gov. Whitmer Announces 40 High-Wage Jobs as Global Auto Supplier TÜV SÜD America Establishes State-of-the-Art EV Battery Testing Facility in Auburn Hills
- Unvaccinated residents filling Michigan hospitals, getting hospitalized for COVID
- Michigan: Secretary Benson brings back the "Water-Winter Wonderland" license plate
- Toolfetch Hosts Product Launch for the New LB White Premier 40 Tent Heater
- STRANGE DEVELOPMENT--A Startup Engineering Company -Awarded $1 Million National Science Foundation Phase II Grant
- PHOTO RELEASE: MDARD Director Gary McDowell Highlights Consumer Protections that Puts Michiganders First this Holiday Season
- LaChance Brothers Excavating Discuss the Impacts of Garbage Disposals
- Give the Gift That Sparkles All Year Long – Drinkmate
- Delights Discusses Origins of Christmas Decorations
- Data Accuracy Revolution Begins: Truthset wins I-COM Challenge
- Create a Unique Summer Camp Experience with an Aluminum Boat Dock from Alumi-Span Docks