November 7, 2019
LANSING – Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel issued the following statement in response to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York's decision to nullify the U.S. Department of Health and Human Service's "refusal of care" rule and block it from taking effect:
"If implemented, this rule would have done nothing but put Americans' access to health care in jeopardy," said Nessel. "Health care treatment should be dictated by approved medical standards and a patient's decision about the type of care he or she wishes to receive, not the personal beliefs of those who hold themselves out as medical professionals. This decision is not only a victory for this coalition, but for each resident we serve."
In May, Michigan joined a coalition of 23 states, cities and municipalities in filing a lawsuit to block the rule which sought to allow any health care provider to refuse necessary, and often critical, health care services that conflict with their "religious beliefs or moral convictions."
More on Michimich.com
- Michigan: Department of State to mail 250,000 applications to serve on Redistricting Commission
- Governor Whitmer Applauds USDA Disaster Designation for Michigan Counties
- As utility scam complaints rise in Michigan, MPSC urges customers to be on alert
- AG Nessel: Sec. DeVos's Automatic Debt Forgiveness for Arts Institute of Michigan Students is the Right Call
- Michigan: DNR seeks tips about bull elk poached in Pigeon River Country
A copy of the decision is available here.
Latest on Michimich.com
- DeRonja Real Estate Hires Bradley Congleton
- HoloBuilder Announces Partnership with Boston Dynamics
- CourMed Partners with Expert Logistics Firm To Scale The Delivery of Healthcare Items Nationwide
- Michigan: A public hearing to consider the possible parole of Johnnie Burton, Jr., #204193
- Michigan: A public hearing to consider the possible parole of Lee Dobine, #206854
- Lineage Logistics Announces Acquisition of Emergent Cold, Expands U.S. Port Network and Strategic Presence in Asia-Pacific Market
- Scott Cooper Miami Announces Scholarship Winners
- Michigan: Saginaw public meeting on tap for Dow-related resource restoration plan
- Michigan: Licenses Associated with Cantrell Funeral Home Revoked
- Michigan: Natural gas rates to remain low even amid high demand; heating oil, propane also starting the season at lower prices
- The Chatman Women's Foundation Gives Financial Support to Local Women
- Fujisan Mishima Tokyu Hotel to Open by Mt. Fuji in June 2020 ... Reservations Being Accepted from December 3, 2019!
- Michigan Civil Rights Commission to Finalize Executive Director Search Process, Establish 2020 Initiatives
- MDHHS announces new efforts to find children forever homes more quickly as Michigan celebrates Adoption Month
- Michigan AG Nessel and Public Service Commission Urge Residents to Know the Signs of Fraud During Utility Scam Awareness Week
- Governor Whitmer Announces Trip to Strengthen Michigan Business Ties with Israel
- Newest Digital Media Solutions Office Named Top Workplace In San Diego
- AF Group Employees Raise $294,000 for Charities
- Michigan: MDE to Request Federal Waivers for Summer Food Service Program
- Serpmart Digital Marketing, Wholesale Web Design and Digital Marketing Services For Businesses That Want Growth