October 11, 2019
Gov. Whitmer Orders Flags Lowered for Remains of Missing Soldier
LANSING, Mich. – Governor Gretchen Whitmer has ordered U.S. and Michigan flags to be lowered to half-staff throughout the state on Sunday, October 13, 2019 to honor the service of Sgt. David Alexander Feriend, which coincides with his funeral.
"Our nation makes a solemn promise to every man and woman in uniform to leave no soldier behind, and that couldn't be more true than it is today with the return of Sgt. Feriend," Whitmer said. "After nearly 70 years, we are grateful to finally have him home."
Sgt. David Alexander Feriend served in the Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 31st Infantry regiment, 7th Infantry Division of the U.S. Army during the Korean War. In 1950, he was listed as missing in action after the Battle of Chosin Reservoir at the age of 23 years old. His remains were found and identified through DNA testing nearly 70 years after he was killed in the battle.
More on Michimich.com
- MI Symptoms Web Application Helps Michiganders Track Symptoms; Informs Reopening Strategy
- Michigan regional jobless rates surge in April with COVID-19 pandemic
- Michigan: Lawmakers Sponsor Upcoming Auto Insurance Town Halls
- STARK Industries, LLC Awarded NASA JPL - VITAL Ventilator Manufacturing License to Combat the Global COVID-19 Crisis
- Proposed 2020-21 Sterling Heights Budget Funds Critical Needs with No Tax Increase
Sgt. Feriend's remains will arrive at the Gerald R. Ford International Airport on Friday, October 11. He will receive full military honors, including an escort to his final resting place from the Patriot Riders and Michigan State Police.
The State of Michigan recognizes the duty, honor and selfless service of Sgt. David Alexander Feriend by lowering flags to half-staff. Michigan residents, businesses, schools, local governments and other organizations also are encouraged to display the flag at half-staff.
To lower flags to half-staff, flags should be hoisted first to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The process is reversed before the flag is lowered for the day.
Flags should be returned to full-staff on Monday, October 14, 2019.
Latest on Michimich.com
- 626 acquires the assets of Innovatus CR and DR Business. The World Slows Down. We Move Faster
- R+M Development Closes on Refinance of Student Housing Project Amidst Pandemic
- Teenage mariachi ensemble records album during pandemic, keeping social distancing guidelines
- FOURMIDABLE Again Recognized on 'Affordable 100' List
- Getman Takes his Popular Book Fairs into the Virtual World Transforming the Way Buyers Meet Sellers of Rare Books, Maps, Prints and Ephemera
- Flagstar Changes 2020 Annual Shareholder Meeting to Virtual Attendance
- Teleroute, Part of Alpega Group, launches an API Interface and a new Mobile App to help their growing number of customers work even more efficiently
- Michigan: 2020 Bay Region Flooding - Map with Photos
- Michigan Will Add Online Purchasing, Free "Quarantine Care Kits"; Additional supports provided for people who need to stay home
- Space Cadet Launches A Flower Sniffer's Book Of Paper Craft to Ward off Boredom Better Than Binging TV
- Michigan: State leaders urge residents with water bill payment concerns to contact local water departments and state assistance programs
- Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services Offers Insurance Tips to Michigan Residents Following Mid-Michigan Flooding
- Michigan: Regulated utilities extend protections, assistance for vulnerable households to June 12
- Sterling Heights: Summer Reading
- Gauging Your Aging Parent's Safe Driving Abilities After The Holiday Weekend Reunion
- Launching OneQuantum LLC the Quantum Tech startup community
- OrPro Therapeutics Advances a New Inhalation Treatment Approach for COVID-19
- Michigan: M-40 resurfacing begins Monday at the Van Buren/Allegan county line
- Health Insurance Enrollment Deadlines Approaching for Michiganders who Lost Job or Experienced a Drop in Income
- Michigan: Secretary of State branch offices to reopen June 1 by appointment only